Tips to Keep Bugs Out of Your Shed
by Parry Grimm, March 26, 2018
A bug infestation can turn a perfectly good storage building into something out of a horror movie. Bugs can also be a health hazard and contribute to the deterioration of your shed and anything you store inside. Here are some simple tips to help you keep these pests out of your backyard shed this season.
- Eliminate food sources. If you are storing bags of pet food, compost, potting soil or grass seed inside your shed, make sure the bags are completely sealed to prevent bugs from eating them or laying eggs. If you can’t seal a bag, store it inside an airtight container. Avoid storing garbage cans inside your shed.
- Keep moisture out. Bugs require a water source to survive. Check your shed for water leaks that could provide a water supply for insects. Place sturdy metal thresholds at the door to keep rain from leaking under the door, and to keep bugs from crawling into the shed.
- Seal entry points. Keep out bugs (and moisture) by using caulk to seal gaps around walls, windows, doors and beams. Don’t forget to look for cracks in floors too.
- Reduce hideouts. When using your shed, be sure the interior is brightly lit. Bugs prefer dark, untouched areas, so the brighter you can keep the interior of your shed, the better. Avoid storing piles of wood, cardboard, rags and other clutter that can serve as a hiding place.
- Keep the perimeter clear. Trim back branches from your shed roof that could serve as a bridge for insects. Avoid putting piles of debris near your shed, including wood and mulch, that could attract termites and other wood-eating insects.
- Clean your shed regularly. Clean and sweep out your shed every season. Since bugs prefer locations with minimal disturbance, a clean shed can deter them from taking up residence.
LP Shed Products Protect Against Termites
Don’t let your outdoor shed building become a meal for bugs. Build your shed with LP products made with the SmartGuard® manufacturing process. Every strand of wood is treated with zinc borate to protect against termites and fungal decay, so your shed will remain structurally sound even in the harshest of conditions. Find a shed dealer near you that builds with LP products.