Get a Better Building Envelope with Engineered Wood Siding
by Amy Lindholm, January 25, 2018
In the age of sustainability, there is heightened interest from architects, builders and homeowners to find ways to create more energy-efficient homes. This puts an ever-increasing focus on a home’s building envelope – the foundation, walls, siding, insulation, windows, doors and roof. These components make up the outer shell of a home and help control moisture movement. When insulated and sealed properly, the building envelope can efficiently perform the following jobs:
- Keep heated or cooled air inside and unwanted unconditioned air out.
- Keep unwanted liquid moisture out of a home.
Building Advancements Increase Climate Control
The building industry continues to innovate by adding new products to the building envelope category that increase climate control. These products help prevent the infiltration of air and water, but still allow water vapor to escape. Other building products help manage solar heat gain. LP proudly manufactures LP® TechShield® Radiant Barrier Sheathing which lowers a home’s attic temperature and helps reduce monthly cooling costs.
Why Choose LP® SmartSide® Siding for a Home
When choosing siding for a home, LP® SmartSide® Trim and Siding products bring a number of important benefits to the building envelope.
- Exceptional durability. The impact-resistant LP SmartSide substrate has been treated with the proprietary SmartGuard® manufacturing process which incorporates waxes, resins and zinc borate to protect against fungal decay and termites. All LP trim and siding products are backed by a 5/50-year limited warranty.
- Fewer siding seams. LP’s manufacturing process produces consistently straight pieces that come in 16-foot lengths, which may reduce seams by up to 33% when compared to 12-foot fiber cement siding panels. Fewer boards mean faster installation, and fewer seems provide less opportunity for moisture intrusion.
- Sustainable production. Engineered wood products produced by LP use sustainable, fast-growing trees sourced through programs certified under the Sustainable Forest Initiative®. Because they do not have knots, voids and other defects, LP products also create less waste than traditional wood.
- Beautiful curb appeal. LP Smartside trim and siding products combine the natural look of wood with the durability of an engineered product. They look as good as they perform.
Find the Industry’s Leading Engineered Wood Products
With more than 10 billion square feet of LP SmartSide siding sold since 1997, it’s easy to see why LP is a building industry leader shaping the way homes, outdoor building structures and light commercial properties are being built. Find a dealer near you that sells LP SmartSide engineered wood products.