5 Simple Steps to Clean Siding This Weekend
by Any Lindholm, June 16, 2016
Thanks to the quality of the factory finishing process, prefinished LP® SmartSide® engineered wood siding options have a uniform finish that is long-wearing and weathers evenly, creating less maintenance for the homeowner in the long term. Although SmartSide siding is an easy-maintenance material, it still needs cleaning from time to time. Follow these simple tips to keep it looking beautiful.
- Wash siding regularly. For best results, SmartSide siding should be washed annually to remove dirt and grime, and prevent damage from mildew and mold.
- Choose the right cleaner. To clean siding, use a solution of water and mild detergent. Wash the surface with a soft brush, sponge or cloth, and rinse off remaining residue with a garden hose. Avoid household cleaners that contain abrasive materials that could damage the paint finish.
- Do not pressure-wash siding. Avoid using a pressure washer to clean SmartSide siding. Pressure washing can force water underneath the siding panel and cause damage to the finish.
- Stop mold and mildew. If not cleaned periodically, the paint finish might become susceptible to mold and mildew. A solution of 75% water to 25% white vinegar can be used to remove light mold and mildew stains. After cleaning, rinse the siding thoroughly.
- Call for repairs. If needed, hire a professional siding contractor to make repairs to LP SmartSide siding. LP’s recommended installers have been trained in the way to properly install these advanced products.
LP® SmartSide® Siding: Engineered Toughness
Why are LP SmartSide products so durable? It’s because they are treated with LP’s exclusive SmartGuard® process. Exterior trim and siding are often subjected to extreme temperatures, moisture and insects. Only the SmartGuard process offers four components of protection against termites and fungal decay: an advanced formula of binders, waxes and zinc borate that’s bonded with a water-resistant, resin-saturated overlay. The result is an advanced material that offers long-term toughness in the face of harsh weather.