The Top 10 Reasons Engineered Wood Tops Fiber Cement
by Amy Lindholm, October 13, 2016
When you choose to install LP® SmartSide® Trim & Siding on a home, you get the beauty and warmth of traditional wood combined with the durability of LP engineered wood. Find out more about the biggest advantages of these innovative house siding options.
10. Reversible. Want to utilize different textures on your home? Some LP SmartSide trim is available in reversible cedar texture and smooth finishes, creating more flexibility on the job site.
9. Renewable resource. All SmartSide products begin with wood – a renewable resource – that has been certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI). Learn more about LP and environmental responsibility.
8. No efflorescence. Natural salts and minerals inside fiber cement products can cause discoloration of the siding surface, a process known as efflorescence. You’ll never have to worry about an unsightly residue detracting from LP SmartSide’s beautiful siding colors.
6. Possible cost advantages. Due to the lighter weight and longer lengths, there are often significant installed cost advantages with SmartSide lap, trim and shakes over similar fiber cement products. Ask your local dealer for details.
5. Fewer seams. LP SmartSide trim and lap siding comes in 16-foot lengths versus fiber cement’s shorter 12-foot lengths, often resulting in fewer seams or joints.
4. Easier to install. LP SmartSide is significantly stronger and lighter per linear foot than fiber cement. It’s easier to carry and install on the job site, and no special tools are required to cut it.
3. Time-tested. LP SmartSide products are proven and time-tested. LP has manufactured over nine billion square feet of SmartSide products and they have been installed on over four million homes since 1997!
2. Realistic woodgrain texture. LP SmartSide products have a more realistic wood texture than most fiber cement products.
1. More impact resistant. LP SmartSide siding products have proven to be more resistant to impact damage from baseballs, golf balls and rocks than fiber cement products. Independent testing by NASA confirms their superior performance.*
Get Innovative House Siding Options
LP SmartSide products are available nationwide through independent dealers. Visit www.LPSmartSide.com to find more information about these unique siding and trim products, or locate a retailer or remodeler in your area.
* NASA REPORT: Evaluation of Impact Damage Resistance of Two Types of Commercial Housing Siding: December 21, 2012.