When the weather gets warm, spending time outside is a high priority on everyone’s list. But often the outdoor areas of our homes need a little sprucing up before they can be the fun spaces we love to gather and enjoy the weather, especially after a hard winter season.
We caught up with Liz Marie Galvan of the Liz Marie Blog to get her best tips for creating a welcoming exterior alongside modern design examples. Galvan’s modern farmhouse siding completes the look of her outdoor spaces, but these tips and tricks work no matter the home style.
Exterior Space Trends
First, let’s take a look at some trends to expect. When it comes to outdoor spaces, Galvan suggests looking out for:
- Vintage Styles: Nods to older antique looks will be common. For example, Galvan’s porch décor includes an antique watering can that is not only decorative but functional as well. You may even be able to find new items that are designed to look older to fit this trend.
- Weatherproof Items: Combining beauty and style with practical function will always be critical for outdoor spaces. Look for items that not only bring a special twist of style to your space but can stand up to the elements, especially if your outdoor spaces aren’t covered by a roof or overhang.
- Sustainable, Earth-Friendly Décor: Repurposing is the name of the game. Decorative items that can be reused or recycled will be especially important as homeowners look to renew their outdoor areas.
Tips for Creating a Welcoming Exterior With Modern Design Examples
Galvan recently took on a re-siding project to update the exterior look of her home. She chose LP® SmartSide® ExpertFinish® Trim & Siding, one of the most durable siding options available, and it completes her home’s style with updated modern farmhouse siding. Engineered wood siding styles were perfect for her historic home. But there are many more ways Galvan adds to the exterior of her home. Check out her tips below!
- Start Early: No matter when the revamping bug hits you, go ahead and get started! Even the smallest tweaks to your outdoor spaces can make a big difference.
- Start Small: Often we underestimate how much a quick coat of paint or a brief cleaning can help make our spaces more welcoming. Create a list of small changes or updates you’d like to make and tackle those one at a time.
- Consider Bigger Projects: For Galvan, part of creating a more welcoming exterior involved new siding, a considerably bigger project than sprucing up a porch. But it may be time for you to re-side, too! Check out the LP SmartSide Home Visualizer, our siding visualizer tool, to envision what new siding might look like on your home. And be sure to browse siding design examples to get ideas.
- Create Spaces With Multiple Uses: Anytime you can create a multipurpose area of your home, it’s a win. Galvan, for example, has a table on her front porch that is large enough for family dinners or working outside. It’s also used if her son wants to play outside and work on arts and crafts, for example. Choose pieces that can be used in many ways, and you’re sure to find yourself outside using them more.
- Add Plants: Lots of greenery helps to brighten and cozy up any outdoor space. If you’re up for watering and maintaining plants, live flowers and hanging baskets are a great way to go. However, Galvan encourages using weatherproof faux plants as well—they won’t require monitoring and bring just as much style.
- Make It Easy to Enjoy Time Outdoors: Galvan keeps an outdoor bag near the door with all the essentials that make spending time in her home’s exterior spaces a breeze. Fill yours with sunscreen, disposable or reusable cutlery and plates, a picnic blanket, a citronella candle and any other essentials that help you feel right at home outside.
Check out Galvan on the Today Show offering a few tips to homeowners!
View this post on Instagram
Time to Update Your Siding?
If you’ve decided that your home’s exterior spaces need more than a simple spruce, you’re in the right place. As you weigh house siding options and cost, consider LP SmartSide Trim & Siding, along with the ExpertFinish color collection, which includes 16 prefinished colors that complement any home’s style.
Be sure to use our checklist for hiring a contractor to help you find a great fit. You can request a quote from an LP® BuildSmart™ Preferred Contractor to partner with an expert. As one of the most durable house siding options out there, LP SmartSide siding can help you re-side with a material that lasts—and looks great along the way.