If you had one project that underperformed within the past few years, you’re not alone. KPMG’s 2016 Global Construction Survey found most projects failed to come within 10 percent of budget or deadline, with over half of respondents suffering one or more underperforming projects in the previous year.
Building professionals juggle a lot, so implementing these time management tips could keep those balls in the air.
- Invest in Digital Tools. Using digital tools to analyze data in real-time can help you be more decisive, thereby boosting productivity up to 50 percent. Saving “job time” overall not only increases productivity, it also helps people make better decisions that shave time off the production timeline.
- Implement Time Management Plan. Only 30% of a builder’s time is spent actually building. Implementing a system to improve time management can streamline planning and preparation efforts. Remember: while everyone on the site is working on different teams, they are all working toward the same end goal. Check out this list of 4 easy-to-use resources.
- Consider Project Size. Large projects typically take 20 percent longer than scheduled and nearly 80 percent over budget. Geological surprises are often cited as issues. Using new techniques in the digital sector such as high-definition photography, 3D scanners and geographic information downloaded from drones can dramatically improve accuracy and speed up ground collection and survey estimates.
- Choose Easier-to-Install Products. Use high-performance building products that deliver lasting results yet are easier to work with and install. For example, use pre-primed or pre-finished LP® SmartSide® Trim & Siding products to help your crew save time. Joe Nitti, co-owner of Nitti Development in the Chicago area said, “They’re light, so it’s easy for the guys to lift and install them.” Read more about Nitti Development’s project summary.
- Invest in Job Training. Only 11 percent of contractors consider jobsites to be efficient. Implementing training on-site for all levels can drastically increase productivity. One company reported immediate benefits in terms of efficiency after helping employees master critical skills.
For a bonus tip, call your LP field representative to make sure you are in the know of the latest time-saving installation tips and products.