Once the autumn leaves have fallen and the nights begin to grow longer, it’s the annual signal that it’s time to start decorating for the holidays. And while many homeowners divert their attention to interior holiday décor, giving your home’s exterior a festive punch will ensure it’s a showstopper the moment friends and family pull into the driveaway. Need some outdoor holiday decorating ideas? We compiled the top 2019 exterior decorating trends that will be all the rage this holiday season.
Top 4 2019 Holiday Décor Trends
- Natural Elements – You’ll see a lot of natural elements incorporated into this year’s holiday decorations to create a warm, inviting vibe. In addition to mixing pinecones, twigs and bark-like textures to ornaments hanging on your Christmas tree inside your home, there are ways to tackle this trend outdoors too. For example, nestle pinecones next to candle lanterns for a rustic feel or add vibrant evergreens in front porch planters for a pop against the dormant winter grass. You can even add a burlap ribbon for an earthy flair.
- Shades of Blue – Move aside, red and green. While those colors will never leave the traditional holiday color scheme, decorators are tapping into more unexpected hues this winter. Specifically, blue is expected to be one of the colors of the holiday season, including sapphire, aquamarine and eggshell. While you may not be ready to trade in your classic green Christmas tree for blue just yet, you can take smaller steps by adding blue ribbons to outdoor wreaths.
- Unexpected Patterns – Herringbone (a symmetrical arrangement of sloped, parallel lines that resemble the bones of a fish) is on trend this winter, adding visual interest to classic holiday décor. You’ll also see polka dots and stripes making a splash. This trend can be incorporated in a number of ways, including a decorative herringbone Christmas tree for display in your front yard.
- Lighting Makeover – Holiday lights are an essential each year, but 2019 is expected to see the trend toward warm, golden light versus the bright white lights of year’s past. In addition to the traditional exterior locations for stringing lights, consider adding to unexpected places to create interesting focal points (i.e. backyard shed, trellis, fireplace, birdbath, etc.).
Top 5 Siding Do’s and Don’ts for Holiday Decorating
While we all want to quickly decorate for the holidays, there are important factors to keep in mind while tackling your exterior to prevent potential damage that could stick around long after the presents have been unwrapped. Specifically, there are important do’s and don’ts for holiday decorating with LP® SmartSide® Trim & Siding to ensure you do not damage the siding and potentially void the LP® SmartSide® 5/50 Year Limited Warranty.
- Do use clips or hangers that install directly to the shingle or gutter system to hang lights and other decorations.
- Don’t use screws or nails on the siding to hang decorations.
- Do properly measure the location and distance of your exterior decorations beforehand to avoid unnecessarily hanging items on your siding.
- Don’t neglect your safety when hanging decorations. Make sure your outlets are grounded, your ladder is up to snuff and that you have someone holding the bottom while you climb.
- Do properly clean the siding prior to hanging decorations. Use a cloth, sponge or soft brush with a solution of 3/4 water and 1/4 white vinegar to wash the surface, gently rinsing.
With these top 2019 holiday décor trends and siding tips and tricks, it’s time to get started transforming your home’s exterior into a winter wonderland that is sure to be the star of the block this season.